Divorce Mediation Checklist – Topics to Help You Prepare for Your Mediation
When getting ready for your divorce mediation, you should be prepared to speak about your thoughts and concerns on the following topics. These items, amongst others, will be discussed in detail and if/when the parties come to terms on each, they will be put into a written agreement for the parties to review, sign and follow.
Some of the topics for discussion in mediation include:
- Legal and Physical Custody (decision-making authority and time spent with the children)
- Parenting Plans (weekdays, weekends, holidays, school vacations, summers, childcare, birthdays, etc.)
- Extra-Curricular Activities of the children and Add-On Expenses
- Child Support
- Relocation of children and/or parent
- Communication with and about the children
- Health insurance for each person and children
- Life Insurance
- Pension Plans/ IRAs
- Distribution of Property (real estate)
- Distribution of Assets (bank accounts, stocks, investments, household furnishings, jewelry, etc.)
- Distribution of Expenses (mortgage, utilities, taxes, insurance, etc.)
- Distribution of Liabilities (credit card debts, school loans, etc.)
- Filing of Taxes (married/single, dependents, refunds, etc.)
The above is not an all inclusive list. It is a helpful overview of what information you may want to gather when preparing for your mediation session. You may also want to gather documents to bring with you to the mediation session to help you make decisions on the various topics stated above.
For more information on divorce mediation or to schedule a mediation, contact Sheree@Donathlaw.com or at 516-522-2743.